KTZ teams up with AD Ports Group for multimodal development
Kazakhstan Railways (KTZ) and AD Ports Group are establishing a joint venture combining maritime and rail transport expertise. The joint venture will focus on enhancing logistics operations in Central Asia and the Caspian Sea axis and creating supply chains between the Persian Gulf and Kazakhstan.
The two parties signed the relevant agreement in Abu Dhabi in the presence of Kazakhstan’s president. AD Ports will hold 51 per cent of the company’s stakes, while KTZ will hold the remaining 49 per cent.
“Our joint venture with Kazakhstan Railways has the potential to not only strengthen maritime connectivity between the Middle East and Central Asia but also open up new trade routes, making it easier and more efficient to move goods across these two regions,” commented AD Ports regional CEO, Abdulaziz Zayed Al-Shamsi.
A range of activities
The new cooperation indeed opens up the potential for new supply chains between two very important economic regions. The two parties do not have a specific scope in what they will do. Instead, they claim that the joint venture will undertake a range of activities. “ Both entities will collaborate to develop maritime electronic systems, vessel operations, railway infrastructure expansion,” and new logistics schemes that will include hopper wagons, among other things.
Most importantly, with the help of AD Ports, KTZ aims to develop Caspian Sea port infrastructure and integrate better with its railway network and logistics services. “The new joint venture will focus on expanding port infrastructure on the Caspian Sea, creating trade hubs and delivering advanced digital technologies. Cooperation between Kazakhstan Railways and AD Ports Group will contribute to the development of Kazakhstan’s transport and transit potential,” said KTZ’s deputy CEO, Yerlan Koishibayev.