MSC to become major shareholder of Trieste Marine Terminal
Terminal Investment Ltd (TIL), MSC’s subsidiary for container terminals, has finalised the acquisition of another 30 per cent of shares of the Trieste Marine Terminal (TMT), a critical rail freight location with multiple connections. The shares were bought from T.O. Delta, an Italian multimodal logistics provider. With the new scheme, TIL owns 80 per cent of the shares in TMT, while T.O. Delta keeps the remaining 20 per cent.
This move, as mentioned by Italian online news outlet InforMARE, aims at increasing Trieste’s competitiveness with the ports of Rijeka and Koper. The acquisition was announced in November but was approved by the competent authorities, namely the Competition and Market Authority (AGCM), only on 20 February.
Between November and now, AGCM was making sure that this transaction would not allow MSC to monopolise the market for container terminal services. This is because MSC is already involved in the container terminal at the port of Ravenna, always on the Italian Adriatic coast, despite being a minority shareholder.
The Trieste Marine Terminal
The TMT is located in the port of Trieste, one of the most important ports in the Adriatic. It was recently equipped with new railway infrastructure, including five 600-metre-long new tracks. The terminal can therefore handle five trains at a time, for a total of 7,000 every year. The terminal can count on connections to various destinations in Italy as well as many connections with central and eastern Europe.
From the TMT, trains can in fact reach Austria, Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary. When it comes to connections with other Italian destinations, the TMT has links to Pordenone, Padua, Milan, and Manoppello. In 2022, the terminal saw a 15,8 per cent increase in volumes handled, for a total of 733,053 TEUs.
- The port of Trieste increases rail connections to Austria
- Honda gets another train to transport its motorcycle components
- ÖBB does it: entry in Trieste, customs in Austria
Do you want to read the full article?
Thank you for visiting RailFreight.com. Become a member of RailFreight Premium and get full access to all our premium content.
Are you already a member?
Do you have a free account? With a free account, you had access to read all premium content on RailFreight.com for free until 1 May 2023. From 1 May onwards you need a paid membership to read all premium articles. Questions? Call +31(0)10 280 1000 or see the FAQ.